Disclosure Statement: This site contains affiliate links, which means that I may receive a commission if you make a purchase using these links. As an eBay Partner, I earn from qualifying purchases.

will the "BriskBard's web browser" become opensource?

exx

Post by exx »

salvadordf

Re: will the "BriskBard's web browser" become opensource?

Post by salvadordf »

Hi,

Right now BriskBard uses many open source components like OpenSSL, Hunspell, SQLite, Indy, CEF4Delphi...

CEF4Delphi is a wrapper around CEF3, which uses Chromium, which uses LOTS of other open source projects. In terms of code length, most of BriskBard is open source.

It's been almost a year since the first CEF4Delphi release and I'm thankful and happy with the results. Many people have contributed with donations, code, blog articles, youtube videos, testing, reporting issues, etc.

I would love to release the remaining parts as open source but then I would be defenseless against other developers "rebranding" the whole browser in countries with less strict copyright laws than mine.
exx

Post by exx »

Hmmm. I don't understand one thing, if your browser is completely free, then what's the point of not publishing the source ?
salvadordf

Post by salvadordf »

Not all free software products are (fully) open source. Take a look at the android play store and you'll see a ton of them.

They just have alternative ways to monetize their products and the creators don't want to make it easy for other developers that change a few details and try to earn some money out of it.
exx

Post by exx »

Ok, sou how do you get profit from this browser? By spying, by cheating with counters and ads etc ... ?
salvadordf

Post by salvadordf »

BriskBard uses the same way to monetize a free service that many other apps and blogs use : ads and affiliate marketing.

The default search engine in BriskBard is a "Google custom search engine" available here :
https://www.briskbard.com/search/

As you can see, the search results include some ads at the bottom.

Additionally, I also write some blog articles here :
https://www.briskbard.com/blog

Those articles have very useful information for anyone browsing the Internet and they include some ads and affiliate marketing links.

For now, all those ads have a very modest performance but I'm also the "computer guy" for some local companies. The amount of web traffic is steadily increasing and I'm confident BriskBard will have a great future. :D
exx

Post by exx »

BriskBard will have a great future.
I hope so )))