Disclosure Statement: This site contains affiliate links, which means that I may receive a commission if you make a purchase using these links. As an eBay Partner, I earn from qualifying purchases.

Update to CEF 78.3.1

thefunkyjoint

Re: Update to CEF 78.3.1

Post by thefunkyjoint »

What is OSR mode ? Is there a way to disable it ?
salvadordf

Post by salvadordf »

The "OSR mode" is also called "off-screen mode" or "windowless mode".

It's used by the SimpleOSRBrowser demo and draws the web page contents in a TBufferPanel component as a raw bitmap.

The "normal mode" or "windowed mode" is used by most of the demos and you need a TCEFWindowParent, TChromiumWindow or TCEFLinkedWindowParent component to show a web page.

Anyway, now that we know there's something corrupting the stack in one of the main CEF threads I would wait until that issue is fixed in the CEF project. Those errors are difficult to detect and can potentially affect other sections of code.
thefunkyjoint

Post by thefunkyjoint »

Is there anything i could try here to avoid using OSR mode ?
salvadordf

Post by salvadordf »

If you are using a TBufferPanel component in your application or some TChromium is creating browsers without a TCEFWindowParent component then I would suggest that you consider using the code from MiniBrowser or SimpleBrowser2 demos as a template.

Those demos use a TChromium and a TCEFWindowParent component to create a browser in normal mode.
thefunkyjoint

Post by thefunkyjoint »

salvadordf wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:19 pm If you are using a TBufferPanel component in your application or some TChromium is creating browsers without a TCEFWindowParent component then I would suggest that you consider using the code from MiniBrowser or SimpleBrowser2 demos as a template.

Those demos use a TChromium and a TCEFWindowParent component to create a browser in normal mode.
Thanks for the info ! I also use TCEFWindowParent, the only diference is my app create everything in run time, i have no components placed on my form in design time. Does it make any diference ?
salvadordf

Post by salvadordf »

Then you use the normal mode.

The TabbedBrowser demo and BriskBard also create everything at runtime and they work fine.

Now that I mention the TabbedBrowser demo, I modified it to load whatever is in the combobox when you add a new tab and compiled it in 64 bits. Then I created several tabs with google.com, bing.com and facebook.com without problems.

I should make a step by step guide to get a debug trace with WinDbg in these cases because it's difficult to guess what could be happening.
thefunkyjoint

Post by thefunkyjoint »

salvadordf wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:12 pm I should make a step by step guide to get a debug trace with WinDbg in these cases because it's difficult to guess what could be happening.
I'd really appreciate that, because i'm stuck on the verison 77.1.18 ; all versions after that will crash my app.

So far it's working with this old version, but i know that sooner or later i'll have problems because outdated browser :?
thefunkyjoint

Post by thefunkyjoint »

I recorded a little video showing another weird issue...

https://streamable.com/a46ja

When i try to run SimpleBrowser2_D7, as soon as i hit on Run button, Delphi runs and goes to the CPU Window. I try to navigate to www.google.com and nothing happens. When i close the app, an exception happens on Delphi and i need to force close Delphi.

This happens on this demo, but in my app CEF runs fine, except it will crash on certain websites (www.bing.com for instance).

As you can see, i use a high contrast Windos theme but i tried with the Default theme and the same thing happens.
salvadordf

Post by salvadordf »

thefunkyjoint wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:40 pm I recorded a little video showing another weird issue...

https://streamable.com/a46ja

When i try to run SimpleBrowser2_D7, as soon as i hit on Run button, Delphi runs and goes to the CPU Window. I try to navigate to www.google.com and nothing happens. When i close the app, an exception happens on Delphi and i need to force close Delphi.

This happens on this demo, but in my app CEF runs fine, except it will crash on certain websites (www.bing.com for instance).

As you can see, i use a high contrast Windos theme but i tried with the Default theme and the same thing happens.
The SimleBrowser2 demo should never crash as soon as you press the "run" button.

Perhaps there's something wrong with that Delphi installation. Can you try it in another computer or in a virtual machine?
thefunkyjoint

Post by thefunkyjoint »

I have also Delphi XE and tested on it, the demo runs ok !

Even www.bing.com is opening ok ! :shock:

Maybe the problem is related to Delphi 2007 ? What can i look for on my D2007 installation , aside from uninstall it and install again (which would be a big hassle as i have a lot of third part components) ?