Disclosure Statement: This site contains affiliate links, which means that I may receive a commission if you make a purchase using these links. As an eBay Partner, I earn from qualifying purchases.

How to shrink libcef.dll

Det20

How to shrink libcef.dll

Post by Det20 »

Hello,

the filesize of libcef.dll is very high. But, is there a way to remove debug information from libcef.dll? I need a small file and more speed, no debug information :)

Best,
Sven
salvadordf

Re: How to shrink libcef.dll

Post by salvadordf »

Hi Sven,

The libcef.dll file found in the Release directory of the CEF binaries package has no debug information.

If you need to speed up rendering you can try disabling images, javascript, plugins, etc.

If you need to distribute a smaller installer for your application you can delete several files from the CEF binaries like : cef_sandbox.lib, libcef.lib, unused PAK files in the locales directory, etc.

Read the "README.txt" file in the CEF binaries package for more details about what you can delete safely.

NOTE : Never delete the "en-US.pak" file because it's always used by Chromium.
Det20

Post by Det20 »

Perfect, i never open "readme.txt". What happens if i remove every pak except en-us? Can i visit, for example, french or chinese websites and "en-us" is fallback, because CEF can't find translated messages?
salvadordf

Post by salvadordf »

Those pak files are used for the user interface only. In the case of a normal embedded browser that's limited to the context menu.

You can visit any website if you only have en-US.pak. Read this for more information about the locale setting which is used by WebKit to show the context menu with the corresponding pak file :
https://www.briskbard.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7077#p7077