Disclosure Statement: This site contains affiliate links, which means that I may receive a commission if you make a purchase using these links. As an eBay Partner, I earn from qualifying purchases.

The logic of the shutdown sequence

Philip Rayment

The logic of the shutdown sequence

Post by Philip Rayment »

I'm trying to understand the logic of the shutdown sequence. From the SimpleFMXBrowser example:
1. FormCloseQuery sets CanClose to FALSE calls TFMXChromium.CloseBrowser which triggers the TFMXChromium.OnClose event.
This implies that we have to close the browser before the form is closed.
2. TFMXChromium.OnClose sends a CEFBROWSER_DESTROY message to destroy CEFWindowParent1 in the main thread, which triggers the TFMXChromium.OnBeforeClose event.
3. TFMXChromium.OnBeforeClose sets FCanClose := True and sends WM_CLOSE to the form.
Given that the event handler is OnBeforeClose, step 3 implies that we have to close the form before the browser.

What am I missing?
salvadordf

Re: The logic of the shutdown sequence

Post by salvadordf »

Hi,

The names can be misleading but the sequence is this in CEF4Delphi :
  • 1. Call TChromium.CloseBrowser
  • 2. Event TChromium.OnClose is triggered
  • 3. Event TChromium.OnBeforeClose is triggered
  • 4. The application can be closed now
These are the original CEF code comments for the OnClose event when you need user confirmation before closing the application :
  • 1. User clicks the window close button which sends a close notification to the application's top-level window.
  • 2. Application's top-level window receives the close notification and:
    • A. Calls CefBrowserHost::CloseBrowser(false).
    • B. Cancels the window close.
  • 3. JavaScript 'onbeforeunload' handler executes and shows the close confirmation dialog (which can be overridden via CefJSDialogHandler::OnBeforeUnloadDialog()).
  • 4. User approves the close.
  • 5. JavaScript 'onunload' handler executes.
  • 6. Application's do_close() handler is called. Application will:
    • A. Set a flag to indicate that the next close attempt will be allowed.
    • B. Return false.
  • 7. CEF sends an close notification to the application's top-level window.
  • 8. Application's top-level window receives the close notification and allows the window to close based on the flag from #6B.
  • 9. Application's top-level window is destroyed.
  • 10. Application's on_before_close() handler is called and the browser object is destroyed.
  • 11. Application exits by calling cef_quit_message_loop() if no other browsers exist.
The names change a little bit between C and Delphi but the logic is the same
  • "CefBrowserHost::CloseBrowser(false)" is equivalent to TChromium.CloseBrowser in Delphi
  • The "do_close() handler" is the TChromium.OnClose event
  • The "on_before_close() handler" is the TChromium.OnBeforeClose event
  • "cef_quit_message_loop()" is part of the GlobalCEFApp destruction.
It's necessary to follow these steps to close all the browsers before closing the application.